2008年4月20日日曜日

I SEE MUCH OF THE WORLD

WORDS
Where:Robinson Crusoe for Children I SEE MUCH OF THE WORLD

To to liking
Context:IT was easy to find a ship to my liking

Definition:if something is to your liking ,it is pleasant and suited to your intererts ,needs ,or
wishes (I know 'like' before ,but I didn't know its noun'liking' untill read this )

Did they find the temperature to their liking?


Vessel
Context:for all kinds of trading vessels go out from London to every country that
is known.

Definition:a ship or large boat ; a fairly formal word

A load of /loads of
Context: He would carry out a load of cheap trinkets

Definition:a large amount of something and emphases that something is large;an informal use

I got a load of tax back this month .

Dust
Context:exchange for gold dust and feathers and other rare and curious things.

Definition:a fine powder which consists of very small particles of a substance such as
gold ,wood,or cloth

The autumn sun sparkled on the pavements like gold dust .

Savage
Context:I would see strange lands and savage people

Definition:cruel ,vicious ,and violent

His vioce was loud and savage ,and struck them into silence

Stirring
Context:I would have many a stirring adventure.

Definition:produces strong feelings of admiration or excitement

They must have been stirring times .

Reckon
Context:He told me about the tides and the compass and how to reckon the ship's course.

Definition:calculate it ;a formal or old-fashioned use

Scylla reckoned on her fingers .

I am really inspired by spirit of adventure ,everything seems as a surprise , and you can creat it by yourself .But just as written in this chapter ,"Some of them were happy and successful; but the most were unpleasant and full of disappointment."There are many difficulties in the way .But I prefer to believing that surprises must be waiting for us ,why not have a try ,and any way ,the disappointment can also be a good experience ,isn' t it.

2 件のコメント:

Kirk Masden さんのコメント...

Good work!! I agree with your comments.

By the way, you can find the audio to Robinson Crusoe at the following address:

http://tinyurl.com/54tkas

sai さんのコメント...

ok,I will have a try.thank you