2008年5月11日日曜日

I AM CAST UPON A STRANGE SHORE

WORDS

Where:Robinson Crusoe for Children I AM CAST UPON A STRANGE SHORE



Breaker

Context:the breakers were rolling over me.



Definition:big sea wave ,especially at the point when it reaches the shore



The long ,grinding roar of the breakers on the reef.



Hold one's breath

Context:I held my breath and waited.



Definiton:stop breathing for a short while



We all held our breaths till the bomb burst .



Strike out

Context:I struck out with all my might for the dry land.

Definition:swim strongly in order to get there

He struck out for the island .

Lest
Context:I feared lest I should be carried out to sea again.

Definition:to introduce the reason for an action ,when the reason is that something
unpleasant or undesirable may happen if the action does not take place

I had to grab the iron rail at my side lest I slipped off.

Wear out
Contest:I was worn out with the hard struggle, I lay down upon the green grass.

Definition:wear somebody out means make them feel extremely tired ;an informal use

They wore us out with their constant screaming and crying .


I am sorry for haven't written my blog for so long ,today I read a test and learnded some useful phrases .So I think you will gain something after giving efforts .It 's easy to do somenthing one or two times ,but it indeed difficult to do it often ,like ,once a day ,or once a week .So,persistence is very important .

1 件のコメント:

Kirk Masden さんのコメント...

Thanks! I enjoy reading your blog, especially the comments you write at the end. I think you are doing very well.

Have you had any trouble understanding what you are reading? If you have any questions that you cannot answer yourself, please post them to your blog.