2008年7月6日日曜日

I KEEP MYSELF BUSY

WORDS

Where:Robinson Crusoe for Children I KEEP MYSELF BUSY



Navigation

Context:There were some charts and compasses, and three or four books on navigation.



Definition:the process or skill with which people work out their positition ,direction,and speed

when they are travelling as a member of the crew of a ship or aeroplane

Moving at such speeds ,navigation becomes critically important.



Bible

Context:Among my own things there were three very old Bibles



Definition:the sacred book which the Christian religion is based on



Bid ---bade

Context:He would run and fetch things to me as I bade him.



Definition:ask or invite someone to do something

The holy man blessed them and bade them rise from their knees.



Chop

Context:If I wanted a board, I had to chop down a tree.



Definition:cut something with energetic movements ,usually with a sharp tool such as an axe.

I don't like chopping wood.


Shovel

Context:But the shovel part was of wood and would not last long.

Definition:a tool like a spade ,with rounded blade attached to a long handle ,used for lifting and moving earth ,coal ,or snow

Mason

Context:At last I made me a kind of hod, like that which masons use.

Definition:a person who is skilled at making things or building things with stone

He carved marble faster than any mason .

Robinson said ink pen and paper were a great comfort for him .He said he wrote everthing happened to him with these .I find that we should do like this .Whatever life we lives ,we should leave a track of it ,and write it down is a good idea.

1 件のコメント:

Kirk Masden さんのコメント...

Good! The usage of "bid" and "bade" that you quoted is not common in modern English. It's an older style.